Wednesday, February 19, 2014

6-Month Laziness

Valentine's Day is {kind of} stupid. And luckily, my sidekick agrees with me. It's just a Hallmark day, and not even a holiday. If work was closed, well then, I would reconsider my opinions. But, it's not. Don't get me wrong.. it's great that people can show their love to each other. But why can't we do that every day? Or random days throughout the year? Why do we need one day to exaggerate and force people into expectations - guys need to give flowers, chocolate, jewelry, and surprise the lady, who should be wearing sexy lingerie under that little dress.

I was very excited to have a 3-day weekend. Even though, we did just go on a week-long vacation in January, which was filled with so much traveling and not enough time relaxing. One of those vacations where you need a vacation from a vacation. So a 3-day weekend was much needed. But the actual, most important reason I loved this weekend this year, more than any other Valentine's day weekend, is that it was officially the 6-month mark of our wedding day. 

Chase and I talked for at least two weeks, thinking about what we should do to celebrate. He did not get Monday off of work, so that put a punch in the weekend plans. We discussed pretty much every idea we could think of, including this...


 Chase: lets go visit your sister (in Chicago)? Or go for a drive up north and winter camp? or rent a bunch of movies take vicodin and veg all weekend

No, dear. That last idea was a bad one and will never happen. Thanks for the input, though.

Every time one of the really good money-spending ideas was brought up, we both felt that sting of guilt. We don't have extra money to spend. We just have too many big things we are trying to save for. You know, like a house (and snowmobiles, sewing machine, new cricut, jet skis, vacation, a personal jet...).

So, we made stay-cation plans.


I told Chase to not send me flowers on Valentine's day. It's expensive. And I would really prefers flowers to be sent every single day, not just Valentine's Day. So, rather than flowers, he sent me two heart-shaped Lucky Bamboo plants. Perfect. He gets me. I love plants more than most other things in my life (and when I say love, I really mean that I would be perfectly content living in a greenhouse).

I thanked him. And he responded..

Chase: It is way better than some stupid flowers that cant figure out how to live in a vase..you can keep it at your desk there and it will last forever.

Exactly what I was thinking. (Until I came back to work on Tuesday and they were almost dead.. apparently my gray cubicle walls don't produce enough natural light).

Chase picked up a heart-shaped Papa Murphy's pizza and I ran to Wally World and picked up a puzzle. It's a new tradition we are starting - and will hopefully remember it next year on Valentine's Day. I love traditions, but am so bad at remembering things. It took us 4.5 hours to do a 550-piece puzzle. I grew up doing big puzzles all the time at family gatherings and over holidays, but this was Chase's first time sitting down and doing a puzzle completely through. Who knew we were pros. I think next year we need more of a challenge.









Saturday and Sunday were spent sitting on the couch. I knitted, literally, from 9:30am to around midnight both days. Took a few half-hour breaks for eating, but that was it. Luckily, Chase was kind enough to understand that I had to get an order finished, and it's nice that he can be the master of laziness when he wants to be (seriously, the guy could sleep for at least 48 hours straight, if we let him). 

Like I said before, Monday was our 6-month anniversary. It was special. Chase worked all day. I had a photoshoot cancel because of the snowstorm, so my parents picked me up in their truck and we walked around every level of MOA. It took us 3.5 hours to get through the first level, I paid $5.30 for a $160 jacket, we went in as far as we could to the Barbie Dreamhouse Exhibit without paying to actually go in, and took our time at the new (at least new to us) Peeps store, where we fully utilized the Mike & Ike's and Hot Tamales bar. We picked up Chase when he was off work, and went to a nearby restaurant. Then came home and I finished my knitting. Even though it wasn't a very eventful weekend, it was awesome. Chase is the best when it comes to my small little crafty business that I'm really trying to get going. He is so understanding and tries to help in any way he can. I love it. 

Happy 6 months, babetron. We have survived each other, so far. I think we will be alright.











No comments:

Post a Comment